Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Homelessness

 Homelessness in Los Angeles 

“If we truly want to end youth homelessness, then we have to invest in prevention and support communities as they work to implement these life-changing efforts.”  - Cyndi Lauper


According to a News article by Susan Carpenter, "at least 69,144 people experience homelessness nightly in LA County, according to the 2022 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count released Thursday. The number marks a 4.1% increase from the last count in 2020, when the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority reported that 66,436 experienced homelessness." Over the last couple of years homeless rates have been increasing, where people are living in tents, vehicles and homeless shelters. It is stated that the fiscal year budget for 2022-2023 in the LA county to help prevent homelessness is about $1.6 billion. According to Co-Executive Molly Rysman from LAHSA, the main reason to homelessness is the lack of access to unaffordable housing. 


 

Why I chose this issue:

The reason I chose to base my civic engagement project on homelessness was because I have had several family members that have experienced being homeless. This topic has hit close to home and I just wanted to raise awareness and do further research myself. Also, I have witnessed way more homeless people in my community, more RVs parked all around my neighborhood, and way more tents on the streets. My family and I are fortunate enough to own a home and we were able to get one of my family members out of the streets and provide a roof over there head. It wasn't as easy as it sounds as they were severely attached to substance addiction but we were lucky enough to help them fight that addiction and now they have a home of their own. This is an issue that has only been getting worse over the years and as a community we need to figure out what we can do to help combat this issue. 



Carmen Martinez
" El estar sin hogar me afecto de una manera positiva porque aunque estaba viviendo en mi carro por un par de meses eso me motivo a salir adelante. Yo no tenía el apoyo de mi familia pero con mi trabajo yo pude salir de la calle y pude agarrar un apartamento. Ahora llevo mas de 2 años en mi hogar."

" Being homeless affected me in a positive way because even though I was living in my car for a couple of months it motivated me to get ahead. I didn't have the support of my family but with my job I was able to get off the street and I was able to get an apartment. Now I have been in my home for a little over a 2 years."


Albert Peña
"Being homeless its hard to get a job. I don't have a certain place to stay I'm everywhere. Sometime by the park or by the 99 cents store I dont really know where I'll sleep if I'm being honest. Yes it has affected me because I've tried many things out here and it can be scary."

His story was very impactful and moving so I decided to gift him some clothes, a blanket, and some food because although he didn't want a photo taken I appreciated the fact that he was able to tell me about his current experience.


What is being done to help:

Several buildings in my area are being turned into homeless shelters which is very controversial but there are people out that would really benefit from a shelter. Also, many mini food banks are being held around my neighborhood whether is a fridge and book case filled with food on the side walk or a non-profit organization giving out to those in need. This doesn't necessarily help prevent homelessness but it gives those in the street their daily meal.

Former Sears in Boyle Heights can potentially be turned into a homeless housing center





Work Cited

Over 69,000 people are homeless in LA County, according to Lahsa Count. Over 69,000 people are homeless in LA County. (n.d.). Retrieved November 9, 2022, from https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west/homelessness/2022/09/08/tktk-people-are-homeless-in-la--according-to-new-lahsa-count#:~:text=LOS%20ANGELES%20%E2%80%94%20At%20least%2069%2C144,reported%20that%2066%2C436%20experienced%20homelessness.

Historic sears building in Boyle Heights could become 'life rebuilding center' for homeless. ABC7 Los Angeles. (2022, February 19). Retrieved November 9, 2022, from https://abc7.com/sears-building-boyle-heights/11578685/

Guardian News and Media. (2022, September 8). Los Angeles County is home to more than 69,000 unhoused people, count finds. The Guardian. Retrieved November 9, 2022, from https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/08/los-angeles-homelessness-unhoused-people-number

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Promoting Sustainable Art and Design

      In a society with rampant consumerism where we create so much waste it is rare to find others or businesses that care about the enviro...