Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The difficulties of Neurodivergent Adults


I chose to focus on the difficulties we neurodivergent adults go through and the difficulties trying to live a “normal” life albeit the challenges we have compared to some of our neurotypical peers. Being autistic myself, along with many of my friends and family members who live with similar mental disorders, I wanted to bring awareness to this topic.


During my teen years, I was fairly open about my autism and struggles, but now as a 25-year-old adult, it's getting more and more difficult to talk about. It's common to think of neurodivergent people as kids/teens as opposed to adults on the spectrum, or even when they do it's often specific fairly known characters like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, Forest Gump, The Good Doctor, etc. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing but it also shows how little people know about our struggles in the adult world. Even reality shows like Love on the Spectrum show a very weird perspective on their depiction of adults on the spectrum, often showing them to be childlike and naive.

 

Aside from that even just getting the proper accommodations and support was already difficult enough in the pre-adult world but what about afterwards? Just trying to get a job that fits your needs is hard enough, and when you're unable to hold down a job, you have access to benefits like SSI (Supplemental Security Income/Social Security), which even has a long list of restrictions. 

    

SSI alone is not enough to cover rent on an apartment let alone basic needs per month. You can't have over $2000 in your bank account, and the checks either get lessened or canceled altogether if you decide to marry, move out, and/or get a job. You have to constantly go through so many doctors, lawyers, and courts just to get help from the government.


Some guardians even take advantage of neurodivergent adults' resources. One very famous example is Britney Spears and Amanda Bynes, who is an example of being put under conservatorship, something that is meant to be used as a way to PROTECT an adult with disabilities who cannot take care of themselves. As we’ve seen with Britney Spears, it’s incredibly hard to get away from the conservator, and could take years just trying to prove you don’t need conservatorship. 


And even then think of the ones who are non-verbal and aren’t able to communicate, also many recorded cases of them being taken advantage of because of their disadvantages and not being able to speak out about the abuse they are going through by the hands of caretakers, fellow “peers”, teachers, etc. This is one of my biggest fears for my younger brother, George,  who is also Autistic like me, the only difference is he is nonverbal and can only communicate with an iPad and say a few short words. He's trusting and kind to everyone and I’m scared how someone might come and take advantage of him for that when we aren’t around to look out for him. 


To cap this off, yes, we have come a very long way compared to how it was a decade ago but we also still have a long road ahead of us, until we truly get the proper support we need. 


----------------------------

Community Statements: 

I think I had a very different experience growing up than a lot of neurodivergent people, as my parents saw my signs of autism early and knew people who could help me. I was still slow to learn specific social cues, but still quick enough that I could be able to function in my own living space. But I still dealt with a lot of problems while I was moving. My first full-time job had to cut my hours and it was very hard to pay rent. My mental health was in a rough place, and I think my autism accelerated my emotions during that time. I had to see therapists and start taking meds to deal with the problems I was facing. But thankfully it helped and I am in a better place, emotionally and financially. I think a lot of the experiences and emotions I went through would be understandable for anyone, even those who are neurotypical. -Cooper Berella

I was diagnosed with ADHD and Autism when I was 5. At first, I never noticed it, I was still a kid with many unrealistic dreams but when in 3rd grade, I realized how different I was. I was treated differently, it doesn't help that most of my childhood life I spent in a disability program and instead of going to fun trips or parks, I went to many speech therapies and correction meet-ups. That was when it hit me, I am not a normal child. I was mentally, emotionally, physically, and sexually abused, and that was just elementary school. In middle school not only i was dealing with my hormones but also dealing with many lashes from special ed teachers that made me feel so unwelcomed. I was still reeling with the same issues plus many more. My trust was abused a lot, i try to be as normal as I can but after now learning how to speak properly enough, it is still hard for me to speak out loud or in a simple sentence. Because of that, I was a target of bullying. I got it a few times in elementary school but middle school was on another level. At that time, I was beginning to have dark thoughts and desires like suicide but only got as far as just Self Harm. High school came and I believe at that time, I was surprised I survived it. Many special ed teachers never took their job seriously, and my mental health got worse when I had to deal with so much, I wished I could get any type of health but I do not have any emotional help, if I go to my friends I feel like a burden to them. I felt defenseless and alone with my mental health. senior year it felt like it finally came my way. I improved in school when I had a teacher who finally took her work seriously. I felt at ease, I focused on school more, and felt more happy. When I graduated I cried a lot not just for leaving high school but because I was now entering the real world. However life wasn't done with me, my mental health went south when one of my closest cousins was killed in an accident. I cried so much that it felt so numb, a week later I was thrown into college, my health was so low that I couldn't even think of anything so I let my parent do all the talking and handling while I was told that my mental health gotten worse by my doctor to the point I now have to take medication. I started college life and it was challenging but it was pleasant. I was mentally in my game and I was working so much better until the pandemic came. Not only did it take my freedom but my loved ones and my spirit. I felt alone, trapped in the house without any scenes of comfort. When I turned 20, I was harassed online by a YouTuber, i went threw a painful and long panic attack. I was scared, I finally saw how bad it was, i was paralyzed with fear, watching my body go stiff and my hands shaking, i was so scared but I didn't want to cry on my birthday so I suffered alone. when I went to the doctor I told her to put me on meds and I took them for a while. I don't see any changes but according to my parents, they see me as more engaging, not a dramatic change though as I was still struggling a lot. I think the hardest was getting on top of taking my meds on time and reminding myself that did it, easier said than done as i did overdose a few times but never too much to land me in jail. Currently, I'm still in college, taking one step at a time, I'm hoping I can graduate next semester without any issues. I'm not struggling with perfection anymore, just anything to pass my class. I still struggle with my disability a lot but it's getting harder and harder, sadly back on taking meds which I swore I wouldn't get back into. I accept more of myself and become someone that I want to be instead of what people want me to be. - Kitty Estrada

Sources: 

  • https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/24/opinion/investing-in-helping-adults-with-autism.html

  • https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/opinion/sunday/adult-autistic-and-ignored.html

  • https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/us/disability-reveal.html

  • https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325239#Independence-and-looking-forward

  • https://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/social-life-blog/2015/sep/16/autism-as-an-adult-on-the-many-days-i-spend-alone-i-forget-how-to-talk


No comments:

Post a Comment

Promoting Sustainable Art and Design

      In a society with rampant consumerism where we create so much waste it is rare to find others or businesses that care about the enviro...