Thursday, March 16, 2023

The Importance of Mental Health - Eric Ha



The Importance of Mental Health

Physical health is obviously a thing that people need to take care of, but mental health is just as important to take care of, if not more important.  The issue is that more people either don't care about it or just don't know about the risks.  

Polls results: 

The Facts: 

According to the CDC, "Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.  It affects how we think, feel, and act.  It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices.  Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood,"

As well that poor mental health can lead to depression, which increases the likelihood of physical health problem like; diabetes, heart disease, and strokes.  

In other words, to take care of yourself mentally is going to help you physically in the long run.

Poor mental health can lead to depression, which may lead to; overeating, under eating, self harm, suicide, lashing out at others, substance abuse, etc.  But generally these thoughts only come because, people don't take care of themselves.  Because people believe that things are hopeless and can't get better.  One major reason why people avoid seeking mental health is based off of the stigma against seeking help.  Because if you need help, then that means there must be something wrong with you.  However that is incredibly wrong.  Seeking help with mental health can vastly improve your quality of life.  Leading to such benefits such as; improved sleeping habits, improved immune system, and lower pain levels, which can lead to better focus on tasks you wish to do.  

Mental health is important and it is hard to determine whether or not you need it.  More than 18% of adults suffer from an anxiety disorder.  And 10% suffer from some sort of mood disorder.  And most of them don't even know it.  So whether you have a serious mental illness or just need help for a day, just seek help and take care of each other.  It's important.  And you matter.

Personally Affected

    Sometimes, I just don't feel like I want to do anything.  All of my energy is gone, but I still have stuff to do.  So I force myself to do it.  And when I do it, I feel myself slowly slipping away.  Which starts to make me feel like crap.  And from that I tend to cut corners and make myself feel worse.  I haven't harm myself during this period of time, but I am generally deflated, tend to lash out at people, and feel like everything is hopeless.  However all I generally need is someone to help me out and calm my nerves to help me back into working shape.

    I choose this issue to focus on, because I feel like this issue isn't really touched on in our society.  And when it is touched upon and encouraged by people, people don't seem to care about it.  Most likely due to the stigma against getting help, or the fact that they don't believe that it is harmful to them.


Community Involvement

All of the people interviewed are people found literally out on the street and just asked.

Bryant Eurioles
I think that it is important to seek mental health if you need it.  Maybe back then you could get away with it, but now, in modern times, if you have access to it, use it.  

Kasy Batres Vasquez
It is important societally.  Like if we have the resources use it, but I believe that it's just important to talk to someone.

Maritza Sanchez
Yes, I do believe it is important as it can influence one's health, wellbeing, and success in all things.  And that if you have access to help, you should take it.

Resources

https://uhs.com/uhs-releases-results-of-poll-examining-americans-perceptions-on-mental-health/ 


https://www.lehighcenter.com/the-importance-of-seeking-mental-health-treatment/ 


https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/suicide-and-mental-illness#the-relationship-between-mental-health-and-suicide 


https://www.pinerest.org/newsroom/articles/mental-health-awareness-blog/ 


https://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/learn/index.htm#:~:text=Mental%20health%20includes%20our%20emotional,others%2C%20and%20make%20healthy%20choices.&text=Mental%20health%20is%20important%20at,childhood%20and%20adolescence%20through%20adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Promoting Sustainable Art and Design

      In a society with rampant consumerism where we create so much waste it is rare to find others or businesses that care about the enviro...