Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Reproductive & Sexual Rights for Young Women

Reproductive Justice for 

Young Women of Color

What is Reproductive Justice?   

 Most people do not know what reproductive justice is. It is much more than abortion rights, though it is an important aspect. Reproductive justice is also not just an urgent matter for women, but for everyone. There are 3 important components to know about reproductive justice:

  1. The right to not have a child.
  2. The right to have a child.
  3. If you do have a child then the right to raise them in a healthy and safe environment.
(Ross & Slinger, 2017)

What needs to be stressed is that reproductive rights are not just for cis women, but for everyone who can choose to have or not have a child. It also is crucial to remember that a social aspect is included, as resources and a safe space to raise a child is also a component. It is not a female issue, but a human one (Sister Song). Even within that definition is the factor of intersectionality, the different aspects that can affect our experiences (Sister Song). Different aspects include being a cis or trans woman, age, race, sexuality, housing, income, and many more factors. Now that we have defined reproductive justice we can address what is currently happening with the constantly changing political climate. 

Overturning Roe v. Wade

    In 1973, the case of Roe v. Wade made legalized abortion across the country, but this year the ruling was overturned. Last year, the Texas Heartbeat Act made declared that it was illegal to have an abortion once a heartbeat is detected, and also anyone who aided the woman including, a doctor, cab driver, or even if you just someone who heard about it (Rubin, 2022). This made it nearly impossible for women in Texas to have legal abortions. This set the tone for what happened this year for when Roe v. Wade was overturned.

    In June of 2022, the case of Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization overturned the ruling of Roe v. Wade and stopped the federal right to abortions (Planned Parenthood). Currently, 26 states now uphold a ban on abortions (Rubin). That is more than half of the US. According to a statistic from Planned Parenthood's website by the age of 45 1 in 4 women will have had an abortion (2022).
    Even with Roe v. Wade being overturned it was already so hard for women of color to have an abortion because of a lack of access (Planned Parenthood). Another important aspect to understand is that "choice is not the same as access" (Planned Parenthood) meaning that even in the states where women have the choice to have an abortion, they still do not have access, in terms of how much it costs how far the clinic is, etc. This all means that choice to not have a child is going to be affected even greater. The fact that women in some states do not have any access to abortions, means their reproductive justice is affected. Again, the right to not have a child is one of the main components of reproductive justice.

Need for Social Change and Resources for Mothers


    There are also women who choose to have a child, and their issues are equally important, in terms of lack of quality support and resources (Ross). Women of color are greatly affected by the environment they are subjected to. There is much systemic and historical racism and discrimination that has led to many of the issues we have today. The female-driven collective called Sister Song notes that "women of color and other marginalized women also often have difficulty accessing: contraception, comprehensive sex education, STI prevention and care, alternative birth options, adequate prenatal and pregnancy care, domestic violence assistance, adequate wages to support our families, safe homes, and so much more" (2022). What it means is that women need more than just their right to abortion to be protected, but also the right to all resources for their sexual health and to be able to live in a safe environment. This also supports that reproductive justice is more than just abortion rights, but also the need for social justice in the issue of reproduction. Especially since young women of color are the ones who are most affected. Every mother should have access to a healthy and safe home for their child, it should not be limited because of racism and prejudice(Rich, 2019).
    This is where intersectionality comes into play again. Young women of color already have many obstacles they need to get through, and if they choose to have a baby it can make their situations even harder (Sister Song). What I and other reproductive justice advocates are calling for is better resources for these women. The stress of life is already hard enough, so whatever resources can be provided are going can lead to healthier parenting which will lead to healthier children. 

What Can You Do?

    If you agree that reproductive justice is an important issue then become an advocate! You can spread awareness by posting to social media, having these conversations with your local government, or even volunteering your time at clinics, or even informally just helping a young mother you know. This issue affects everyone, even if you are not a woman, this is the daily reality of your partner, mother, sister, friends, and co-workers. We need to do what we can to help bring about this change. Reproductive justice can have a ripple effect and will make the world a better place.
    As a woman of color who had her child at the age of 17, the issue of reproductive justice is near to my heart. I was that young girl that lacked knowledge and resources. I had an incredibly difficult time raising my child until I learned about resources available to me, such as WIC, Medi-Cal, and Cal Fresh, but even then I did not have a safe environment for my son until he was much older. If this blog can change even just one young woman's life then I think of it as a success. 

Those Affected & Willing to Advocate for Reproductive Justice

Daniella Hernandez, Age 19, and her daughter Luna, Age 9 months
"I'm in my last yaer of high school, I know it will get harder for me and Luna, and I do want to raise her in a happy and safe home. I want that for every latina who gets pregnent young like me."
Jaime Soto, Age 31 (Daniella's Older Brother)

 "My mother and all of my sisters have become young mothers, so I have seen it as a child who was raised by a young Latina and I have watched my sisters raise my nieces and nephews. I know their struggles and I try to help when I can, but I know they use every resource available to them, but I do think it could be more done. My nieces and nephews deserve the world. I support reproductive justice if that means a better life for them."


Mariana Baltazar-Mendoza, Age 26 (mother to a 6 year old son Atticus not pictured)

"I had my son when I was 19 turning 20. It was hard I felt like I had to work harder, I'm undocumented and I don't get most of the programs other moms get. I'm scared that I'll be deported and Atticus will be alone, so if there was a way to help me and other young Chicana mothers, I'm always down."










References

Ensuring Reproductive Justice for All | the Public Health Advocate. https://pha.berkeley.edu/2019/12/01/ensuring-reproductive-justice-for-all/.

Parenthood, Planned. “Roe v. Wade Overturned: Supreme Court Gave States the Right to Outlaw Abortion.” Planned Parenthood Action Fund, https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/issues/abortion/roe-v-wade.

“Reproductive Justice.” Sister Song, https://www.sistersong.net/reproductive-justice.

Ross, Loretta, and Rickie Solinger. Reproductive Justice : an Introduction. University of California Press, 2017.

Rubin, Rita, et al. “How Caring for Patients Could Change in a Post–Roe v Wade US.” Jama, vol. 327, no. 21, 2022, pp. 2060–2062., https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2022.8526.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Promoting Sustainable Art and Design

      In a society with rampant consumerism where we create so much waste it is rare to find others or businesses that care about the enviro...