Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Madison Cuyong- Women's Lack of Safety on College Campuses

                                            Women's Lack of Safety on College Campuses

    A large majority of women that attend universities across the country all share reports of harassment, sexual misconduct, assault, abuse, date-rape, and more. Due to these problems becoming more prominent on our college campuses, many women are fearful for their safety. College students are not only fearful for their lives and safety but they're also fearful because of the lack of inaction for these incidents. With the rise of violence against women it's important to address how this problem is affecting women on college campuses. 


The statistics show how much of an issue this really is...

                                                                                                                                                              

                                                                                                                                               (AxonProject)

                                                                                                                                               

Sexual violence has shown to disproportionately target college women. In a study that looked over sexual assaults on campuses between 2000 to 2015, it was found that students who are in their first two years of college and are between the ages of 18-19 years old are at the highest risk for incapacitated rape (Fedina). This same journal stated, "Findings from this systematic review suggest that unwanted sexual contact appears to be the most prevalent form of sexual assault on college campuses (including sexual coercion), followed by incapacitated rape and completed or attempted forcible rape" (Fedina). These statistics show how much of a problem this issue really is.

Negative Impacts 
    A study was done on college women who had experienced sexual assault within their first semester at college. In their first semester, "12% of women reported experiencing attempted (11%) or completed (7%) sexual assault due to threats, force, or incapacitation" (Carey). Researchers then followed up with these women towards the end of the year and found that they all experienced some form of serious mental health problems. They found that "13% and 17% of women reported clinically significant depression and anxiety symptoms, respectively. At the end of the first semester, 14% and 14% reported clinically significant depression and anxiety, respectively" (Carey). Overall, this is a very serious issue that has long-lasting effects on victims of campus sexual assaults which is why schools need to be more aware of the violence against women on their campuses.

Overall, most women on college campuses are fearful and worried of sexual violence against them which is why it's so important to address this issue.


 Personal Statement   
This social issue directly impacts me because I am a woman in college. I've heard so many stories from friends and acquaintances that they've been harassed, stalked, sexually assaulted, and more. I'm personally afraid to walk around our campus due to rumors of men harassing women. I usually always feel worrisome and am always on alert because of the horrible stories I've heard. I also feel like as a woman I can't rely on campus police to help if I were to be in a scary situation because I've heard from friends that they either don't respond or are annoyed to come help. I wanted to pick this topic because I really wanted to shed light on this issue and be able to speak openly with my roommates and peers who live on campus and who have also experienced the same issue. 


Participants

I interviewed my roommates and some other people who live on campus and heres what they had to say...

Monse Gomez, 22 years old 
“I have a night class so  walking back from class can be very scary and anxiety-inducing. I feel like I need someone to know my location at all times.”  


                                                            Navila Fatin, 22 years old


"I feel unsafe on campus most of the time because of all the stories you hear about women being stalked and sexually assault. I always have my pepper spray on me at all times and I even hold onto it when going back to the dorms just incase. I’d say I feel worried about my safety on campus about 90% of the time."


                                                            Sydney Gois, 22 years old

"I am very aware of my surroundings on campus because I’ve been harassed before. When I had a night class last semester I felt I was in danger because there was someone who looked like they were following me. I ended up calling my roommate to meet me and at some point they stopped following me. It was just really scary and now I always feel on edge when I'm walking alone."



References 

    AxonProject. Carter, Molly, "College Campus Safety". https://axonprotect.com/college-campus-safetystats/#:~:text=Research%20suggests%201%20in%2010,physical%20force%2C%20violence%20or%20incapacitation. 

    Carey, K., Norris, A., Durney, S., Shepardson, R. "Mental Health Consequences of Sexual Assault among FirstYear College Women".https://europepmc.org/backend/ptpmcrender.fcgi?accid=PMC6311089&blobtype=pdf 

    Fedina, L., Holmes, J., Backes, Bethany. Campus Sexual Assault: A Systematic Review of Prevalence Research From 2000 to 2015. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1524838016631129 

    Rainn."Campus Sexual Violence: Statistics"https://www.rainn.org/statistics/campus-sexual-violence

 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Promoting Sustainable Art and Design

      In a society with rampant consumerism where we create so much waste it is rare to find others or businesses that care about the enviro...