Thursday, October 21, 2021

The consequences of anxiety among our students

     Anxiety affects all of us in numerous ways and it is important to understand the negative outcomes of anxiety. Hopefully by reading this article we can be well informed on how to cope with stress and function as a college student. 

  • "According to the American College Health Association Fall 2018 National College Health Assessment, 63% of college students in the US felt overwhelming anxiety in the past year. In the same survey, 23% reported being diagnosed or treated by a mental health professional for anxiety in the past year."
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/anxiety-in-college-what-we-know-and-how-to-cope-2019052816729

  • "The U.S. Census Bureau reports that in 2017, more than 18 million students were enrolled in college in the U.S. According to figures compiled by Statista, nearly three out of four of these students have experienced a sense of “overwhelming anxiety” at some time, and just under 30% report having felt overwhelming anxiety in the previous two weeks. Here are other statistics that examine the impact of anxiety on college students."
https://www.stress.org/anxiety-in-college-students-causes-statistics-how-universities-can-help

    As a criminal justice student anxiety has caused me stress and feeling ill almost everyday. It can be very difficult to start an assignment early on and finish it before a due date. My anxiety was at its highest peak when I began college in 2019. This was because entering a new school knowing everything is new and the pressure of succeeding without knowing what you want your career to be can be overwhelming. I chose this issue because although I do have anxiety when it comes to college and school work, I can say I am overcoming it through healthy habits. This is by having a calendar filled with due dates and post-it notes neatly over my bed reminding me of important dates in general. This helps me every day see what needs to be done and prepare for future plans. Also having a hobby helps me a lot. In order to relieve stress I either paint or do puzzles while listening to my favorite music. Coping in healthy ways to relieve stress and planning ahead knowing nothing is going to creep up helps me with my anxiety. 
    What causes anxiety? Sleep disruption by pulling "all nighters" and drinking excessive caffeine can cause anxiety. School stress and detachment from studies can also be a factor to why students have anxiety. In the article, "Anxiety In College" by Nicole J. states " A recent study in Sweden showed that anxiety levels have increased in recent years, especially among young adults. In the US, some research shows a decrease in psychological well-being among adolescents over the past several years." This means that college students are increasingly having more mental health issues that could be due to electronic communication. 

    How to cope? 
  • Challenge yourself: Don't avoid class because of anxiety, take small steps everyday and push yourself out there. Email your professor if you're having difficult understanding a course, introduce yourself to a new classmate, etc. 
  • Practice self-care: Maintain a healthy diet, exercise, and sleep! Starting a new hobby could help anxiety by relieving stress. 
  • Find resources: Find campus resources that can help with academic advising, peer counseling, and student mental health. 
    My community has also suffered by anxiety. I have asked three college students on their opinions of how anxiety and college has affected them. These were their responses:

" For me, anxiety didn't become a big part of my school life until recently. I started slacking in some of my classes and the thought of getting in trouble with my teachers or not being well informed to hold a conversation about a school topic with my peers triggered a fight or flight reaction in which i've been too frightened to attend class and wonder if I should just drop the class completely. Anxiety has caused a butterfly effect which has negatively affected my school mindset and has my brain fogged in all these negative thoughts to the point where I cant think straight and just the thought of school alone scares me. "
                                                                                                        - Adrian Alfaro

"Over the course of the pandemic I started to get anxiety for no apparent reason. My anxiety worsened when I found out some of my classes would be in person. Once school had started my nerves got worse, especially in class. I would only focus on how I was feeling and on whether it was time to leave, rather than focusing on what my professor was saying. Eventually my nerves subsided and I got used to being on campus. Although, I still had anxiety when completing art assignments. I began to feel like I wasn't skilled or good enough to complete the project assigned. This made me feel discouraged and nervous when having to share or submit my work. I also struggled with completing my work on time! I would spend so much time on my assignments because I didn't like the outcome or I felt anxious because I knew others would see my work. Overall, anxiety has and continues to affect my school work and focus, particularly my productivity and confidence in my academic and art abilities."
                                                                                                      - Priscilla Mendoza

"With the pandemic and transition to online classes, anxiety has started affecting my school work in different ways. Usually, with classes in-person, I got major test- anxiety during midterms and finals. However, I now struggle with procrastination and staying focus. An assignment that should take me about 30 minutes to complete now takes me over an hour. Overall, anxiety has caused this semester to be a bit stressful as it is affecting ability to complete my school work in a timely manner."
                                                                                                     - Zoey


    



No comments:

Post a Comment

Promoting Sustainable Art and Design

      In a society with rampant consumerism where we create so much waste it is rare to find others or businesses that care about the enviro...